Technology News: Innovation by Jakob Müller AG
Gather information about new Müller machines and technology updates, as well as the latest software and software releases.
Machines from the Jakob Müller AG’s NG3 series are the world’s fastest narrow fabric needle looms and an NG3S 2/66 S5 for medium-weight belts will be in operation at the Techtextil.
The NG3 series of narrow fabric needle looms represents a technical and technological development quantum leap. The heald frame drives and movement, as well as the shafts and healds are designed for high speeds, and for medium-weight articles now offer a maximum of 2,750 min-1 (using the S5 weaving system). One of the main reasons for this high performance is the new, wear-resistant NGV3 harness. In tandem with top quality raw materials, weft thread guidance, compensation and monitoring guarantee first class product quality and reduced standstill times. The patented compound needle system is characterised by the safe, low-tension insertion of the threads. This results in increased efficiency and a simultaneous reduction in knitting needle breaks. Moreover, the NG3S version of the machine (the “S” stands for “silent”) is fitted with additional noise protection, which cuts emissions by as much as 10 db(A).
The NG3S 28G 2/66 S5 offers the following advantages:
- High production performance with speeds of up to 2,750 min-1
- The possibility for speed changes while the machine is running
- Excellent machine efficiency in combination with low wear and a minimum maintenance requirement
- Patented, air-sprung heald motion for high speeds
- Extremely reliable and reproducible narrow fabric quality with selvedges of a very high standard
- Simple and clear operation and control
- Outstanding machine and operator safety
NG3 product samples
The belt to be shown at the Techtextil 2019 will consist of a warp composed of a 100% PES filament with a 1,670 dtex yarn count and a weft formed by a 550 dtex PES filament. Selvedge formation takes place using the 5 weaving system, whereby the auxiliary threads have a yarn count of 280 dtex and the locking threads 113 dtex. The special weave provides a combination of excellent filament strength use and an attractive, glossy product appearance, which is especially advantageous during employment as a lifting belt. Proven tear resistance of 29.8 kN with 6.83% elongation is a high value that represents a 16% increase over standard belts. Apart from lifting, the belts can also be used in nets to secure aircraft cargo.
This electronically controlled, RR-knitting machine (double knit) from Comez is ideal for the production of technical, multi-axial knits.
The Multiaxial/EL-32 knitting machine with a 32 inch-wide needle bed is characterised by the following features:
- Simple handling
- Robust design
- A compact superstructure
- Fast article changeovers due to reduced needle bed width
- Gentle knitting tool movement
- Photoelectric sensors for optimum accident protection
The EL-32 can employ a wide range of raw materials:
- Carbon (CFRP, carbon fibre reinforced polymer).
- Glass (GFRP, glass fibre reinforced polymer), known in Italy as (PRFV, polyester reinforced with glass fibre).
- Aramid (AFRP, aramidic fibre reinforced polymer, e.g. Kevlar®).
Multi-axial knits represent complex textile structures, the potential of which can be used to the full with the EL-32. The electronic control of the thread guides and the knit take-off enables the use of differing stitch densities (stitch rows/cm) and elasticity values in the same article. Moreover, different weft and warp threads can also be introduced.
n addition, the MULTIAXIAL/EL-32 machine is fitted with a DATA CONTROL CONTROLLER, which drives a new generation of actuators with an outstandingly dynamic characteristic and high positioning precision. The CONTROLLER facilitates the management of all the necessary functions, monitors the product data and long pattern repeats, which extend to a virtually unlimited number of stitch rows.
Pattern design and processing take place using COMEZ DRAW 3 textile software or SYSTEM.WIN for PCs. Pattern data is transferred from PCs to the DATA CONTROL CONTROLLER via a USB memory device.
f you treat polyester tapes with the new 20-06 finishing agent prior to printing, then you will see immediately that the print possesses far sharper contours and colour depth, the touch is more pleasant and the wash-proofing superior.
Do you print polyester tapes using our MÜPRINT MDP2 and MDP3 digital printing machines? If so, in order to achieve optimum quality we recommend pre-printing treatment with a finishing agent. Ideally, you should employ the new 20-06 product from Jakob Müller Deutschland GmbH, which comes ready for direct use as a finished product, or as a concentrate at an attractive price.
However, the quality of the finishing agent is one thing and its even and controlled application quite another. This is best achieved with an MFR2A 2CYL finishing machine, which guarantees the uniform spread of the agent and with its dry cylinders simultaneously guarantees a closed tape surface.
Contact Finishing Agent: email@example.com
Contact Finishing Machine: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finishing and single-sided coating using the new MFR FC
The MFR FC is ideally suited to both tape finishing and coating on one side. The new machine is also extremely compact, fast and economic.
In the new MFR FC, the tapes run over the drum of a lick roll unit, which applies a one-sided coating from underneath (see photo).
- During one-sided finishing, the limited application of the chemical concentration results in a reduction in drying costs and also facilitates higher production speeds. Nonetheless, in the case of thin tapes, complete material penetration is attained.
- The level of penetration can be controlled by means of both the machine settings and the viscosity of the finishing chemicals. Standard equipment may be employed for drying.
- During coating, the paste is applied on one side and the coating can be prevented from penetrating to the other side of the material through the appropriate adjustments to the recipe, viscosity and machine parameters. Low drying costs and fast production speeds also result during coating.
- The material with single-sided coating then runs through a special drying and fixing unit with one-sided material guidance
The MFR FC offers an extensive range of applications that includes all types of non-elastic tapes and in particular, hook and loop, velvet and composite items. Elastic tapes can also be processed, however pre-trials are recommended.
Some of the finishing and coating effects that can be achieved with the MFR FC are as follows:
- Filling and stiffening finishing
- Soft feel finishing
- Reverse side coating
- Weave bonding
- Reverse side pile bonding
- Filling and stiffening finishing
- Antistatic finishing
- Hydrophobic finishing
- Hydrophilic finishing
- Special effects for technical articles (e.g. Flame protection, anti-IR, heat protection, etc.)
Contact: Bernhard Seidl
Generation change from the MÜSONIC2 to the MÜSONIC3
The new ultrasonic MÜSONIC3 label slitter further optimises the advantages of its predecessor machine and is also even simpler to operate.
he MÜSONIC2 label slitter has proven its value in the market for the past fifteen years, but now it has a successor in the shape of the new MÜSONIC3. This offers all the positive characteristics of its predecessor, but in tandem with significant improvements. Apart from numerous alterations to details in the handling and material guidance area, the machine also incorporates the following striking innovations:
- The machine’s controls employ proven technology from the Siemens company. This includes a touchscreen with high-definition graphics as a human-machine-interface (HMI) that will also serve to ensure the machine’s user friendliness in years to come.
- A further optimisation measure with regard to machine operation involves the integration of the second monitor for fabric selvedge control into the Siemens HMI. This creates notable advantages for the operation of the machine, as everything is clear and centrally adjustable.
- A new ultrasonic unit provides enhanced heat consistency and hence stability.
- The new profibus network facilitates improved fault diagnosis.
If you already possess a MÜSONIC2, then you will be able to use the new MÜSONIC3 immediately. Moreover, even if the machine is your first Jakob Müller label slitter, you will quickly come to appreciate its simple operation.
In future, Jakob Müller Germany will look after MÜSONIC2 machines
he new, ultrasonic MÜSONIC3 label slitting machine is manufactured by our subsidiary Jakob Müller Deutschland GmbH. This machine is closely related to its predecessor, the MÜSONIC2, and therefore it is only logical that in future the German company will also provide the after sales service for the older model. This change will take effect as from 1 January 2018.
Any order received by Jakob Müller AG in Frick prior to this date, as well as all current quotations, will be dealt with by our Swiss headquarters. However, after January 1, we would request that customers working with the MÜSONIC2 contact Jakob Müller Deutschland GmbH with regard to spare part orders and technical questions.
- Spare Parts (quotations, orders, etc.)
Tel.: +49 (0) 2336 4799 31
- Helpdesk (technical support, guarantee claims)
Tel.: +49 (0) 2336 4799 0
The complete Jakob Müller Deutschland GmbH address can be found on our website.
The electronically controlled NH2 53 narrow fabric loom is designed for the production of light- to medium-weight tapes. The take-offs installed to date possessed appropriately defined forces, consisting of 550 N for the NH2 53 2/130, 1,000 N for the NH2M 53 for cord and ropes and 1,500 N for the NHJM2 53 jacquard loom.
However in some market segments, tapes with higher surface masses are needed and these require take-offs with greater forces. Therefore, Jakob Müller has developed a new module that increases take-off force to a nominal level of 2,500 N in a range of 8 to 60 picks/cm (NH2M 53 with 5 to 60 picks/cm). As of now, this module is being used in the following machine types:
- NH2 53 2/130, NHJM2 53 (both with 75 mm-stroke level)
- NH2M 53 (with 44 mm-stroke level)
The new pre-installed module consists of a 3-step spur gearing with return stop and a 5 Nm motor. The gearing employed offers 81% efficiency, which guarantees a high degree of motor torque utilisation. Moreover, during the design of the gearing the loads on the various machine components, and in particular the deflection rollers, were the object of detailed analysis. The resultant findings then helped to ensure that the strengthened gearing offers excellent fatigue endurance. Subsequently, the new tape take-off was subjected to thorough testing at various customer companies.
The illustration shows the layout of the strengthened tape take-off on an NH2 53 2/130. It should be noted that on this machine, the right-hand casing must also be exchanged. A double tape take-off is always foreseen for the NH2 53 2/130 and NHJM2 53 looms.
The augmented gearing is installed in the aforementioned machine types ex-works and replaces the versions employed to date. An upgrade of existing machines is also possible and the customer can implement the modifications autonomously (modification instruction A8564). Nonetheless, we recommend that the new module be installed by an experienced Jakob Müller engineer, as the anchorage of the new tape take-off requires a number of alterations to the machine’s side panel.
The module can be ordered as a conversion kit from Jakob Müller AG’s Spare Part Service using the machine number. Should the customer so require, the assistance of a service engineer can also be made available along with the conversion kit.
Jakob Müller AG Frick
Spare Part Service
A perfect narrow fabric is the result of exact machine settings and precise weft thread feeding. However, in the case of wide needle looms conventional feed systems using rollers and compensation springs are unable to prevent faults entirely. Consequently, from a weaving width of 170mm, weft thread feeding devices are employed in combination with mechanical brakes. Nonetheless, in the case of articles woven using two weft needles (Z-systems), the mechanical brake does not function and therefore the MÜTRANS system is utilised. Unfortunately, MÜTRANS requires very long compensation distances for the weft and numerous deflections, which leads to increased loads on the compensation springs and greater wear and tear. It is precisely these disadvantages that the new IRO TEC weft thread feed prevents.
The heart of the system is formed by a universal brake leaf, which is characterised by a large braking surface and excellent wear resistance. It can be employed in needle looms for any yarn count. The brake leaf can be opened at the side for threading, which markedly simplifies operations. Opening and closing times can be set in line with the rotation angle of the loom and the required signal emanates from an angle sensor. Furthermore, in the case of sensitive materials the braking force of the IRO TEC can be regulated individually via a potentiometer.
When in operation, the IRO TEC offers highly responsive thread tension control. This is integrated into the weft thread accumulator (see illustration) and the reaction time amounts to around 2.5 milliseconds. The brake leaf is also suitable for reductions in thread tension peaks such as those caused when knots run through.
The Jakob Müller engineers subjected the programmable IRO TEC thread brake to extensive testing in an NF80 2/310 needle loom, using weft threads with counts of between 50 and 1,200 dtex. The results are as follows
- Reduced compensation spring wear
- Excellent fabric appearance
- More regular weft thread feeding with constant thread tension
- Absolute parallel positioning of the weft threads in the fabric
- Improved selvedge uniformity on the warp needle side
The IRO TEC is available as an option for the S1-S5 weaving systems for the following machine types (single needle weft thread insert systems):
- NF53 2/170 and 2/210
- NFRE53 2/170 and 2/210
- NF53 2/210 VL/AL
- NF80 2/310
Constant and controlled thread tension with EBRT and EKAST
EBRT and EKAST provide constant, controlled warp thread tension and with these solutions for weaving from the creel and the warp beam, the productivity of Müller machines can be increased even further.
During the weaving of medium-weight to heavy belts from the creel, the positive driven EBRT brake drum controls the warp thread transport. The drum is available in variations with diameters of 150mm (EBRT 150Q), 300mm (EBRT 300Q) and twice 300mm (EBRT 300L). The EBRT 300L also allows the new, optional addition of integrated warp thread feed monitoring and improved selvedge thread tension regulation using a brake lever.
Jakob Müller AG has also developed the EKAST electronic warp take-off control for weaving from the warp beam. Control takes place via a spring-loaded dancer and this option is available in the EKAST 20.1 variation for warp tension of up to 200 N and as the EKAST 50.1 for warp tension of up to 500 N.
In combination, the EBRT and EKAST offer a range of advantages:
- Constant and controlled warp thread tension during the entire weaving process
- Higher productivity
- Improved product quality and less waste
- Reduced downtimes
Would you like to use EBRT or EKAST on your already installed or new machines? Does a standard solution fit or do you need individual adaptations? Our spare parts service will be happy to advise you.
Jakob Müller AG Frick
New option – NGV3 heald frame for the NG3 offers twice service life
Jakob Müller has developed a new, additional option for its NG3 loom, which manufactures light to medium weight belts, in the shape of the NGV3 heald frame. The practical advantages are large, as NF healds can be employed instead of NG versions and the wear on both the shafts and the healds has been radically reduced.
The new NGV3 heald frame is suitable for retrofitting on all NG3 28 belt looms. Its main characteristics consist of an even more robust design and the use of NF healds instead of the NG version. Intensive testing has shown that this new development is subject to far less wear and at machine speeds of 2,500 rpm, the combination of NF original healds and the new frame offers at least twice the service life of the frames used previously with NG healds.
The advantages of the NGV3 heald frame:
- Compatibility with NF healds opens up access to a larger selection of healds from the Jakob Müller portfolio, thereby simplifying ordering and stocking.
- NF healds have a somewhat larger blank play, which prevents jamming on the stringing rails.
- Longer service life provides greater efficiency
- Simple retrofitting is possible using a conversion set
Our spare parts service is pleased to provide further information.
Jakob Müller AG Frick